- a person who rules or governs; sovereign.
- Also rule. a strip of wood, metal, or other material having a straight edge and usually marked off in inches or centimeters, used for drawing lines, measuring, etc.
- a person or thing that rules paper, wood, etc.
- Astrology. the planet primarily associated with any sign of the zodiac or any house of the horoscope: The ruler of Aries is Mars. The ruler of Taurus is Venus.
Origin of ruler
Related Words for rulerking, monarch, emperor, czar, sultan, shah, majesty, queen, empress, mogul, kaiser, prince, baron, royal, sovereign, potentate, lord, dame, tycoon, baroness
Examples from the Web for ruler
Contemporary Examples of ruler
How will we know if Kim, when he eventually surfaces, is ruler or figurehead?Kim Jong Un: Erased?
Gordon G. Chang
October 10, 2014
He wanted peace and harmony, and in this respect he was just another Roman ruler interested in imperial unity.Plotting Nicea III Could Be Pope Francis's Masterstroke
June 8, 2014
Anyone “who has authority of the sword, is the ruler of a city, or wears the purple” has to resign his job or leave.St. Hippolytus’ Careers Christians Should Never Have
May 4, 2014
The Bible makes this out to be a matter of popular acclaim, the people lining up to have David as their ruler.The King David You Never Knew
October 27, 2013
Anyhow, they realized, Assad had also lost his legitimacy as a ruler.What Israel Really Thinks About Syria
May 23, 2013
Historical Examples of ruler
It does not matter whether we recognize a king or an emperor or a president as our ruler.Ancient Man
Hendrik Willem van Loon
Angelo, the would-be Puritan ruler, was a "false seemer," Malvolio was a "chough."The Man Shakespeare
Obedience has regard to the will of a ruler, not to necessity and truth.A Theological-Political Treatise [Part IV]
Benedict of Spinoza
Dir would have repudiated its ruler and joined the combination.The Story of the Malakand Field Force
Sir Winston S. Churchill
She took the crown from her head with her own hands, and ceased to be the ruler of Sweden.Biographical Stories
- a person who rules or commands
- Also called: rule a strip of wood, metal, or other material, having straight edges graduated usually in millimetres or inches, used for measuring and drawing straight lines