- a journey or expedition, for hunting, exploration, or investigation, especially in eastern Africa.
- the hunters, guides, vehicles, equipment, etc., forming such an expedition.
- any long or adventurous journey or expedition.
- to go on a safari.
Origin of safari
Related Words for safariingfly, trek, proceed, wend, traverse, roam, wander, ramble, fare, voyage, peregrinate, hop, safari, jet, repair, process, rove, junket, range, tour
- an overland journey or hunting expedition, esp in Africa
- any recreational journey or expedition
- the people, animals, etc, that go on the expedition
Word Origin for safari
Word Origin and History for safariing
1890 (attested from 1860 as a foreign word), from Swahili, literally "journey, expedition," from Arabic, literally "referring to a journey," from safar "journey" (which itself is attested in English as a foreign word from 1858). Used from 1920s of various articles of clothing suitable for safaris.