- a salutation meaning “peace,” used especially in Islamic countries.
- a very low bow or obeisance, especially with the palm of the right hand placed on the forehead.
- to salute with a salaam.
Origin of salaam
Related Words for salaamedattend, acknowledge, receive, stop, hail, accost, embrace, address, meet, approach, salute, shoulder, nod, recognize, bow, herald, flag, salaam, curtsy, compliment
Examples from the Web for salaamed
Historical Examples of salaamed
When we saw her we salaamed; then she would glare at us grimly, and turn her back on us.Things as They Are
He spread his hands and salaamed in token of complete acquiescence.
He salaamed, and when he spoke there was almost a note of gladness in his voice.
The Memsahibs came and were salaamed, and sat in front of the traders.From Edinburgh to India & Burmah
William G. Burn Murdoch
She started for the door; but Phil got before her, and salaamed to the floor.We Ten
Lyda Farrington Kraus
- a Muslim form of salutation consisting of a deep bow with the right palm on the forehead
- a salutation signifying peace, used chiefly by Muslims
- to make a salaam or salute (someone) with a salaam