- any of several small, bloodsucking, dipterous insects of the family Psychodidae that are vectors of several diseases of humans.
- any of several other small, bloodsucking, dipterous insects, as one of the family Heleidae or Simuliidae.
Origin of sandfly
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- any of various small mothlike dipterous flies of the genus Phlebotomus and related genera: the bloodsucking females transmit diseases including leishmaniasis: family Psychodidae
- any of various similar and related flies
- Any of various small biting flies of the genus Phlebotomus of tropical areas, some of which transmit diseases.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.