[san-tuh muh-ree-uh; for 1, 2 also Spanish sahn-tah mah-ree-ah; for 3 also Portuguese sahn-tuh mah-ree-ah]
- (italics) the flagship used by Columbus when he made his first voyage of discovery to America in 1492.
- an active volcano in W Guatemala. 12,300 feet (3750 meters).
- a city in S Brazil.
- a city in W California.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019
Examples from the Web for santa maria
Historical Examples of santa maria
The greater part of the cargo of the Santa-Maria was to be left behind with them, for their year's provision.
The Gallega was destined to carry the admiral, who changed her name to the Santa-Maria.
- the Santa Maria the flagship of Columbus on his first voyage to America (1492)
- (Portuguese ˈsəntə maˈria) a city in S Brazil, in Rio Grande do Sul state. Pop: 252 000 (2005 est)
- (Spanish ˈsanta maˈria) an active volcano in SW Guatemala. Height: 3768 m (12 362 ft)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012