- impertinent; insolent; saucy: a sassy reply; a sassy teen.
- pert; boldly smart; saucy: a sassy red handbag.
Origin of sassy1
1830–1835, Americanism; alteration of saucy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for sassily
Actors have won Oscars for sassily stepping over a puddle in period clothing (Judi Dench in Shakespeare in Love).Scarlett Johansson’s ‘Her’ Performance Deserves Oscar Love
December 18, 2013
- US informal insolent, impertinent
C19: variant of saucy
sasswood (ˈsæsˌwʊd) or sassy wood
- a W African leguminous tree, Erythrophleum guineense, with poisonous bark (sassy bark) and hard strong wood
- the bark or wood of this tree or the alkaloid derived from them, which is sometimes used in medicine
C19: probably from a language of the Kwa family: compare Twi sese plane tree, Ewe sesewu a kind of timber tree
Word Origin and History for sassily
1833, American English, alteration of saucy. Related: Sassily; sassiness.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper