- impertinent; insolent; saucy: a sassy reply; a sassy teen.
- pert; boldly smart; saucy: a sassy red handbag.
Origin of sassy1
1830–1835, Americanism; alteration of saucy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Wordsassumption, assurance, audacity, boldness, brashness, brass, brazenness, cheek, cheekiness, chutzpah, crust, defiance, discourtesy, disrespect, effrontery, face, familiarity, forwardness, gall, guts
- US informal insolent, impertinent
C19: variant of saucy
sasswood (ˈsæsˌwʊd) or sassy wood
- a W African leguminous tree, Erythrophleum guineense, with poisonous bark (sassy bark) and hard strong wood
- the bark or wood of this tree or the alkaloid derived from them, which is sometimes used in medicine
C19: probably from a language of the Kwa family: compare Twi sese plane tree, Ewe sesewu a kind of timber tree
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for sassiness
1833, American English, alteration of saucy. Related: Sassily; sassiness.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper