Sault Ste. Marie
or Sault Sainte Marie
[soo seynt muh-ree]
- the rapids of the St. Marys River, between NE Michigan and Ontario, Canada.
- a city in S Ontario, in S Canada, near these rapids.
- a city opposite it, in NE Michigan.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Sault Sainte Marie
- an inland port in central Canada, in Ontario on the St Mary's River, which links Lake Superior and Lake Huron, opposite Sault Ste Marie, Michigan: canal bypassing the rapids completed in 1895. Pop: 67 385 (2001)
- an inland port in NE Michigan, opposite Sault Ste Marie, Ontario: canal around the rapids completed in 1855, enlarged and divided in 1896 and 1919 (popularly called Soo Canals). Pop: 14 184 (2003 est)Usually abbreviated to: Sault Ste Marie