- a bronzelike luster, sometimes with iridescence, occurring on certain minerals.
Origin of schiller
- Ferdinand Can·ning Scott [kan-ing] /ˈkæn ɪŋ/, 1864–1937, English philosopher in the U.S.
- Jo·hann Chris·toph Frie·drich von [yoh-hahn kris-tawf free-drikh fuh n] /ˈyoʊ hɑn ˈkrɪs tɔf ˈfri drɪx fən/, 1759–1805, German poet, dramatist, and historian.
- Astronomy. an elliptical walled plain in the third quadrant of the face of the moon: about 112 miles (180 km) in length and 60 miles (100 km) in width.
Examples from the Web for schiller
Contemporary Examples of schiller
Dr. Schiller sees a future where players can be compensated and colleges spin off the sports programs into a private entity.Why the Future of College Sports Is to Become Corporations
April 5, 2014
“Basically, the shoe is based on how we see Generation Y,” Schiller told The Daily Beast.Spice Girl Platform Sneakers Return to Fashion
Misty White Sidell
April 23, 2013
“This is an amazing new edition to our iPad family,” Schiller said of the Mini.Apple Rolls Out Thinner, Smaller, iPad Mini
October 23, 2012
Schiller responded only briefly, saying “I know” or that she understood what Templar was saying, without endorsing his views.Allies Accuse James O'Keefe of 'Hit Job' in Undercover NPR Sting
November 15, 2011
It began harmlessly enough, with a call from the manager of Banco Bilbao in Malaga, who asked Schiller to stop by.The Billionaire and the Fugitive
Meir Doron, Joseph Gelman
July 23, 2011
Historical Examples of schiller
The story reads exactly like the story of Goethe and Schiller.The Man Shakespeare
Was it not Schiller who said, 'Death cannot be an evil, for it is universal'?Salted With Fire
He is the true countryman of his contemporaries Goethe and Schiller.Sophist
The authority of the name of Schiller is too great for his books.Essays, Second Series
Ralph Waldo Emerson
He could recite you for hours long the ballads of Schiller and the lyrics of Uhland; ah!Arthur O'Leary
Charles James Lever
- an unusual iridescent or metallic lustre in some minerals caused by internal reflection from certain inclusions such as gas cavities or mineral intergrowths. Formula: NaFe 3 B 3 Al 3 (Al 3 Si 6 O 27)(OH) 4
Word Origin for schiller
- Johann Christoph Friedrich von (joˈhan ˈkrɪstɔf ˈfriːdrɪç fɔn). 1759–1805, German poet, dramatist, historian, and critic. His concern with the ideal freedom of the human spirit to rise above the constraints placed upon it is reflected in his great trilogy Wallenstein (1800) and in Maria Stuart (1800)