- a certificate representing a fraction of a share of stock.
- a certificate to be exchanged for goods, as at a company store.
- a certificate indicating the right of the holder to receive payment later in the form of cash, goods, or land.
QUIZ YOURSELF ON THE 12 TYPES OF VERB TENSES!
Origin of scrip1
OTHER WORDS FROM scripscripless, adjective
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH scripscrip , script
Words nearby scrip
Definition for scrip (2 of 3)
Origin of scrip2
Definition for scrip (3 of 3)
Origin of scrip3
How to use scrip in a sentence
Buying prescription drugs without a scrip is a serious legal offense, as Rush Limbaugh could tell you.Don't Legalize Marijuana: The Case for More Paternalism in America|David Frum|January 10, 2013|DAILY BEAST
Part of it was covered by scrip, a few quarters were taken by war settlers, the balance by speculators.
The village pastor delivered the staff into his hands, girded him with a scarf, and attached to it a leathern scrip.Beacon Lights of History, Volume V|John Lord
He was a fated man from that moment; his life was not worth three cents in Confederate scrip.Nurse and Spy in the Union Army|S. Emma E. Edmonds
The output is seized in its entirety, and not limited to the extent accruing to British scrip holders only.Origin of the Anglo-Boer War Revealed (2nd ed.)|C. H. Thomas
A broad leather strap hanging from his shoulder supported a scrip or satchel such as travellers were wont to carry.The White Company|Arthur Conan Doyle
British Dictionary definitions for scrip (1 of 3)
- a certificate representing a claim to part of a share of stock
- the shares allocated in a bonus issue