- Robert, 2nd Earl of Essex,1566–1601, British statesman, soldier, and courtier of Queen Elizabeth I.
- 2nd Earl of. Devereux, Robert.
- a county in SE England. 1418 sq. mi. (3670 sq. km).
- a town in N Maryland, near Baltimore.
- a town in W Vermont.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- Robert. See (2nd Earl of) Essex (def. 1)
- a county of SE England, on the North Sea and the Thames estuary; the geographical and ceremonial county includes Thurrock and Southend-on-Sea, which became independent unitary authorities in 1998. Administrative centre: Chelmsford. Pop (excluding unitary authorities): 1 324 100 (2003 est). Area (excluding unitary authorities): 3446 sq km (1310 sq miles)
- an Anglo-Saxon kingdom that in the early 7th century ad comprised the modern county of Essex and much of Hertfordshire and Surrey. By the late 8th century, Essex had become a dependency of the kingdom of Mercia
- 2nd Earl of, title of Robert Devereux. ?1566–1601, English soldier and favourite of Queen Elizabeth I; executed for treason
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Old English East-Seaxe "East Saxons," who had a 7c. kingdom there.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper