- the state of being solicitous; anxiety or concern.
- solicitudes, causes of anxiety or care.
- an attitude expressing excessive attentiveness: to show great solicitude about his wife's health.
Origin of solicitude
Synonyms for solicitude
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019
- the state or quality of being solicitous
- (often plural) something that causes anxiety or concern
- anxiety or concern
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
early 15c., from Middle French solicitude (Modern French sollicitude), and directly from Latin sollicitudinem (nominative solicitudo) "anxiety, uneasiness of mind," noun of state from past participle stem of solicitare (see solicit).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper