- to transmit (a signal).
- to transmit (an electromagnetic wave or the like) in the form of pulses.
- to produce; bear; yield: plants sending forth new leaves.
- to dispatch out of a country as an export.
- to issue, as a publication: They have sent forth a report to the stockholders.
- to emit or discharge: The flowers sent forth a sweet odor.
- to distribute; issue.
- to send on the way; dispatch: They sent out their final shipment last week.
- to order delivery: We sent out for coffee.
- to release or cause to go upward; let out.
- Informal. to sentence or send to prison: He was convicted and sent up for life.
- to expose the flaws or foibles of through parody, burlesque, caricature, lampoon, or other forms of satire: The new movie sends up merchants who commercialize Christmas.
OTHER WORDS FOR send
Idioms about send
Origin of send1
OTHER WORDS FROM sendsend·a·ble, adjective
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH sendscend, send
Other definitions for send (2 of 2)
How to use send in a sentence
So, Islamized teaching sends girls back home for marriage and housework, and remains exclusively for boys.Houellebecq’s Incendiary Novel Imagines France With a Muslim President|Pierre Assouline|January 9, 2015|DAILY BEAST
A click sends a user to a statement, a list of passenger nationalities, emergency call-center numbers, and other information.The Presumed Crash of AirAsia Flight QZ8501 Is Nothing Like MH370|Lennox Samuels|December 29, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Unless Cuba sends them back, you might consider following the now lifted embargo with your own personal boycott.
Allowing some people to discriminate sends the message that discrimination is okay.Do LGBTs Owe Christians an Olive Branch? Try The Other Way Around|Jay Michaelson|December 14, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Hitchcock sends the script--unread--to Thom Mount and his superior, Ned Tanen.Alfred Hitchcock’s Fade to Black: The Great Director’s Final Days|David Freeman|December 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The archbishop of Manila sends to the king (July 30, 1621) an account of ecclesiastical and some other affairs in his diocese.
But agitation unlocks wayward fancies and sends them scurrying inopportunely across the very foreground of the mind.Ancestors|Gertrude Atherton
The prophet sends chains to divers kings, signifying that they must bend their necks under the yoke of the king of Babylon.
Jeremias sends Baruch to read his prophecies in the temple; the book is brought to king Joakim, who burns it.
A worthy father, feeling death at hand, sends for his son to hear his last counsels.Friend Mac Donald|Max O'Rell