verb (used with object), sent, send·ing.
- to transmit (a signal).
- to transmit (an electromagnetic wave or the like) in the form of pulses.
verb (used without object), sent, send·ing.
- to produce; bear; yield: plants sending forth new leaves.
- to dispatch out of a country as an export.
- to issue, as a publication: They have sent forth a report to the stockholders.
- to emit or discharge: The flowers sent forth a sweet odor.
- to distribute; issue.
- to send on the way; dispatch: They sent out their final shipment last week.
- to order delivery: We sent out for coffee.
- to release or cause to go upward; let out.
- Informal. to sentence or send to prison: He was convicted and sent up for life.
- to expose the flaws or foibles of through parody, burlesque, caricature, lampoon, or other forms of satire: The new movie sends up merchants who commercialize Christmas.
TAKE THIS QUIZ TO SEE WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT 2ND-3RD GRADE VOCAB FROM BOOKS!
Idioms for send
Origin of send1
ANTONYMS FOR send
OTHER WORDS FROM sendsend·a·ble, adjective
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH sendscend send
Words nearby send
Definition for sends (2 of 3)
verb (used without object), sent, send·ing, noun
Definition for sends (3 of 3)
verb (used without object) (of a vessel)
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH scendscend send
Example sentences from the Web for sends
Unless Cuba sends them back, you might consider following the now lifted embargo with your own personal boycott.
Hitchcock sends the script--unread--to Thom Mount and his superior, Ned Tanen.Alfred Hitchcock’s Fade to Black: The Great Director’s Final Days|David Freeman|December 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
It was in Saint-Rémy where Van Gogh sends his brother word of how all his sacrifice may soon be for nothing in this life.Decoding Vincent Van Gogh’s Tempestuous, Fragile Mind|Nick Mafi|December 7, 2014|DAILY BEAST
She sends a miniature of her own image to the court, envious that it will enjoy a proximity she will never attain.Sor Juana: Mexico’s Most Erotic Poet and Its Most Dangerous Nun|Katie Baker|November 8, 2014|DAILY BEAST
When civilians are massacred, Human Rights Watch sends in the E-Team (Emergencies Team) to document the war crimes.
A higher place is taken in his work by the longest poem he sends his brother in the same metre, Fancy.Life of John Keats|Sidney Colvin
The descendant of Joel sends this to the descendant of the Nerowegs.The Carlovingian Coins|Eugne Sue
He sends down his wickedness to the country and tempts weak folks to sin.Gallegher and Other Stories|Richard Harding Davis
Every day we read the story of some vessel tempest-tossed, which sends forth a wireless message and would otherwise be lost.Uncle Walt [Walt Mason]|Walt Mason
You say, he sends, he asks doubtless whether he should send.Egmont|Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe