- a small shining disk or spangle used for ornamentation, as on women's clothing and accessories or on theatrical costumes.
- a former gold coin of Venice, introduced in 1284; ducat.
- a former gold coin of Malta, introduced c1535.
- a former gold coin of Turkey, introduced in 1478.
Origin of sequin
Related Words for sequinedtrim, sprinkle, star, light, decorate, stud, garnish, dot, adorn, glisten, twinkle, gleam, flash, ornament, sparkle, coruscate, glimmer, glitter, sequin
Examples from the Web for sequined
Contemporary Examples of sequined
Back on the street with her nervous little dog and a dozen sequined dresses.Russia’s Gold Digger Academy
November 11, 2014
Long, column dresses in similar floral prints (accented with tassels and sequined bits) came next.
Sequined dresses were shown with long, thigh-grazing sweaters in dark, wintry colors.
Emma: I have three boxes full of sequined and tulle thingamajigs that go in my hair.How I Write Family Edition: Emma Straub & Peter Straub
August 29, 2012
Does she actually make the transition from sequined Barbie to leading lady?Does 'Footloose' Suck?
October 14, 2011
Historical Examples of sequined
She thrilled to the look, and the desert spirit made her screen her face from it, with a sequined gauze scarf which she wore.The Golden Silence
C. N. Williamson and A. M. Williamson
Mariachis, in their sequined black suits and sprawling black hats, played and sang.The Haciendas of Mexico
Paul Alexander Bartlett
- a small piece of shiny often coloured metal foil or plastic, usually round, used to decorate garments, etc
- Also called: zecchino any of various gold coins that were formerly minted in Italy, Turkey, and Malta
Word Origin for sequin
Word Origin and History for sequined
1610s, name of a former Italian and Turkish gold coin, from French sequin (17c.), from Italian zecchino, name of a Venetian coin, from zecca "a mint," from Arabic sikkah "a minting die." Meaning "ornamental disc or spangle" is first recorded 1882, from resemblance to a gold coin. Related: Sequined (1890).