- U.S. Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps. a noncommissioned officer serving as chief administrative assistant in a unit headquarters.
- U.S. Marine Corps. a noncommissioned officer ranking above a first sergeant.
- a small damselfish, Abudefduf saxatilis, inhabiting warm Atlantic waters, having vertical black stripes on each side.
Origin of sergeant major
Examples from the Web for sergeant major
Historical Examples of sergeant major
Thomas Maxwell, sergeant-major, promoted to sergeant-major from Co.War from the Inside
Frederick L. (Frederick Lyman) Hitchcock
According to the sergeant-major's version,—and who could venture to contradict him?Tom Burke Of "Ours", Volume II (of II)
Charles James Lever
"The large wall tents over there on the hill," directed the sergeant-major.
"He's a plumb beauty, that horse," remarked the sergeant-major.
A sergeant-major, brought for the moment opposite him, uttered an exclamation.
- a noncommissioned officer of the highest rank or having specific administrative tasks in branches of the armed forces of various countries
- a large damselfish, Abudefduf saxatilis, having a bluish-grey body marked with black stripes