- (of a gene) located in a sex chromosome.
- (of a character) determined by a gene located in a sex chromosome.
Origin of sex-linked
First recorded in 1910–15
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for sex-linked
In fact, any part of the body may be affected by a sex-linked factor.A Critique of the Theory of Evolution
Thomas Hunt Morgan
In sex-linked inheritance all sons show the characters of their mother.
The result shows that the character is a sex-linked recessive.
This result is in accordance with the interpretation that bow is a sex-linked recessive.
Additional data for the study of sex-linked inheritance in Drosophila.
- Carried by a sex chromosome, especially an X-chromosome. Used of genes.
- Sexually determined. Used especially of inherited traits.
- Relating to a gene carried on, or a trait transmitted by, a sex chromosome. Color blindness and hemophilia in humans are sex-linked traits.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.