- an untanned leather with a granular surface, prepared from the hide of a horse, shark, seal, etc.
- the rough skin of certain sharks, used as an abrasive.
- Also sha·greened. resembling, covered with, or made of shagreen.
Origin of shagreen
1605–15; < French chagrin, variant of sagrin < Turkish sağrι rump, crupper
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for shagreen
Shagreen was formerly very extensively used for covering the cases of watches, spectacles, surgical instruments, &c.Cooley's Practical Receipts, Volume II
- the rough skin of certain sharks and rays, used as an abrasive
- a rough grainy leather made from certain animal hides
C17: from French chagrin, from Turkish çagri rump; also associated through folk etymology with shag 1, green
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012