- a governor of Mecca descended from Muhammad.
- an Arab chief, prince, or ruler.
Origin of sherif
Examples from the Web for sherif
Contemporary Examples of sherif
“This country is as divided as it has ever been,” said Sherif Taher.Egypt’s Military Holiday Marred By Deaths
October 7, 2013
On the night of Feb. 11, 2011, Sherif Mansour walked onto his balcony, furtively lit a cigarette, and began to cry.Freedom House NGO Worker Returns to Egypt to Face Trial
June 3, 2012
Historical Examples of sherif
But the Sherif must have thought us mad, and never troubled to come and see how we got on.
His word decided everything—ever since the smashing of Sherif Ali.
Sherif felt that some sort of discipline must be maintained among his flock.
But it happened that in a few weeks Sherif had occasion to journey to the island of Abba.
He was jealous of Sherif and envied him his sanctimonious disciples.
- a descendant of Mohammed through his daughter Fatima
- (formerly) the governor of Mecca
- an honorific title accorded to any Muslim ruler