- (in India, Pakistan, and Afghanistan) a military chief or leader.
- (formerly) the British commander of the Egyptian army.
Origin of sirdar
Examples from the Web for sirdar
Historical Examples of sirdar
Only the Sirdar knew—and gave Fenton leave of absence for a few days.
"This is where Gordon used to stand," the Sirdar stopped us near the parapet.
Would the Sirdar mind giving me a few details about the fighting on the 17th?Captain Desmond, V.C.
It was the 1897 campaign which put all these places into the Sirdar's hands.
The Sirdar had but to ask, to receive all the material and men he wished for.
- a general or military leader in Pakistan and India
- (formerly) the title of the British commander in chief of the Egyptian Army
- a variant spelling of sardar