- (in southern Africa) a heavy whip, usually of rhinoceros hide.
- to whip with or as if with such a whip.
Origin of sjambok
Examples from the Web for sjambok
Historical Examples of sjambok
Sjambok occurs in 17th-century accounts of India in the form chawbuck.The Romance of Words (4th ed.)
You are 'Mwanga's dog, and he will skin you with a sjambok soon.'
There was the sjambok I had forgotten still lying on the window sill.
"Ou Baas holds the sjambok in his hand when he talks to me," he said quite simply.
Sibijaan drove the mules and swung his sjambok without mercy.
- a heavy whip of rhinoceros or hippopotamus hide
- a stiff synthetic version of this, used in crowd control
- (tr) to strike or beat with such a whip