- Aeronautics. the ratio of the span of an airfoil to its mean chord.
- Digital Technology, Television. the ratio of the width of an image to its height, usually a standard ratio such as 16 to 9 or 4 to 3.
- Naval Architecture. the ratio of the height of a rudder to its fore-and-aft length.
- Also called fineness ratio, slenderness ratio.the ratio of the mean diameter of the body of a rocket or missile to its length.
- the ratio of the length of the combustion chamber of a rocket motor to its diameter.
Origin of aspect ratio
First recorded in 1905–10
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the ratio of width to height of the picture on a television or cinema screen
- aeronautics the ratio of the span of a wing to its mean chord
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012