- untidy or unclean in appearance or habits.
- characteristic of a sloven; slipshod: slovenly work.
- in an untidy, careless, or slipshod manner.
Origin of slovenly
Synonyms for slovenlySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for slovenly
Related Words for slovenlybedraggled, careless, dingy, disheveled, disorderly, dowdy, frowzy, frumpy, grubby, grungy, heedless, icky, loose, messy, negligent, pigpen, raunchy, seedy, slack, slapdash
Examples from the Web for slovenly
Historical Examples of slovenly
Yes, you've taken to mucking your work—doing it in a most slovenly way.L'Assommoir
She was directed by a slovenly maid to a room on an upper floor, and left there.
Careless, slovenly and wasteful as I knew him to be, he was not mean.A Daughter of the Middle Border
It is a grievous thing to note how slovenly this part of the service is in some places.Broken Bread
He lived in a large, stone house, kept in rather a slovenly manner.Virgin Soil
Ivan S. Turgenev
- frequently or habitually unclean or untidy
- negligent and careless; slipshodslovenly manners
- in a negligent or slovenly manner