- untidy or unclean in appearance or habits.
- characteristic of a sloven; slipshod: slovenly work.
- in an untidy, careless, or slipshod manner.
Origin of slovenly
SynonymsSee more synonyms for slovenly on Thesaurus.com
1. sluttish, slatternly. 2. careless, loose, disorderly.
1. neat. 2. careful.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for slovenly
Yes, you've taken to mucking your work—doing it in a most slovenly way.L'Assommoir
She was directed by a slovenly maid to a room on an upper floor, and left there.
Careless, slovenly and wasteful as I knew him to be, he was not mean.A Daughter of the Middle Border
It is a grievous thing to note how slovenly this part of the service is in some places.Broken Bread
He lived in a large, stone house, kept in rather a slovenly manner.Virgin Soil
Ivan S. Turgenev
- frequently or habitually unclean or untidy
- negligent and careless; slipshodslovenly manners
- in a negligent or slovenly manner
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for slovenly
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper