- a digital icon, a sequence of keyboard symbols, or a handwritten or printed equivalent, that serves to represent a facial expression, as :‐) for a smiling face or ;‐) for a winking face.Compare emoticon.
- Usually smile face. a drawing of a face consisting of a usually yellow circle with an upturned curve for a smile and two dots for eyes.
- cheerful; smiling.
Origin of smiley
- Jane,born 1949, U.S. novelist.
Related Words for smileysmiley
Examples from the Web for smiley
Contemporary Examples of smiley
Smiley, meanwhile, tried to tamp down fears by comparing the Ebola outbreak to the SARS outbreak of 2003.Fact-Checking the Sunday Shows: October 19
October 19, 2014
Smiley is a PBS talk show host who has written several previous books about the African-American experience.Tavis Smiley Humanely Chronicles MLK’s Sad Last Year
October 16, 2014
Smiley, by contrast, knew exactly what mistakes he was making as he committed and concealed them.
The disparity has left some dealers convinced that maps Smiley stole now hang on the walls of private collectors around the world.
“It was no brute whom Smiley was pursuing with such mastery, no unqualified fanatic after all, no automaton,” le Carré writes.Iran’s Top Spy Is the Modern-Day Karla, John Le Carré’s Villainous Mastermind
July 2, 2014
Historical Examples of smiley
"It is the most natural thing in the world to me," said Mrs. Smiley.
Part of the time Mrs. Smiley was awake and sorely grieved at her failure.
Mrs. Smiley was in great distress of mind over the failure of her powers.
The pencil was on the carpet, forty inches from Mrs. Smiley's hand.
As in the case of our own psychic, Mrs. Smiley co-operated to the utmost with us.
- given to smiling; cheerful
- depicting a smilea smiley badge
- any of a group of symbols depicting a smile, or other facial expression, used in electronic mail