verb (used with object)
- to play on (an instrument) with the fingers.
- to perform or mark (a passage of music) with a certain fingering.
- to inform against or identify (a criminal) to the authorities: He fingered the man who robbed the bank.
- to designate as a victim, as of murder or other crime.
verb (used without object)
HEED THE VOX POPULI, AND TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Idioms for finger
- to have an interest or share in something.
- to meddle in something.
- to indicate exactly; remember: I know the name, but I can't put my finger on it.
- to discover; locate: I haven't been able to lay my finger on the book you requested.
- to elude one, as an opportunity not taken; escape: She let the chance of a lifetime slip through her fingers.
- to pass or be consumed quickly: Money just slips through his fingers.
Origin of finger
OTHER WORDS FROM fingerfin·ger·er, nounfin·ger·less, adjectivere·fin·ger, verb
Words nearby finger
British Dictionary definitions for snap one's fingers at
- any of the digits of the hand, often excluding the thumbTechnical name: digitus manus
- (as modifier)a finger bowl
- (in combination)a fingernail Related adjective: digital
- to have an interest in or take part in some activity
- to meddle or interfere
- to inform on or identify, esp for the police
- to choose (the victim or location of an intended crime)
Derived forms of fingerfingerer, nounfingerless, adjective
Word Origin for finger
Medical definitions for snap one's fingers at
Idioms and Phrases with snap one's fingers at (1 of 2)
Treat with contempt, scorn, disregard, as in Peter just snapped his fingers at the speed limit and drove as fast he liked, or Joanne snapped her fingers at the rumor about their bankruptcy. This expression alludes to the gesture of striking one's finger against one's thumb, thereby making a sharp noise. [Early 1800s]
Idioms and Phrases with snap one's fingers at (2 of 2)
In addition to the idiom beginning with finger
- finger in the pie, have a
- at one's fingertips
- burn one's fingers
- cross one's fingers
- give someone the finger
- lay a finger on
- let slip (through the fingers)
- not lift a finger
- point the finger at
- put one's finger on
- put the finger on
- snap one's fingers at
- sticky fingers
- twist around one's finger
- work one's fingers to the bone