- with the result or purpose: to turn up the volume of the radio so as to drown out the noise from the next apartment.
- Older Use. provided that: I like any flower, just so as it's real.
- something, as an amount or cost, that is not specified or determined: The carpeting is priced at so much per yard.
- all that is or needs to be said or done: So much for the preliminaries, let's get down to the real issues.
Origin of so1
19, 20. The conjunction so (often followed by that ) introduces clauses both of purpose ( We ordered our tickets early so that we could get good seats ) and of result ( The river had frozen during the night so people walked across it all the next day ). In formal speech and writing, so that is somewhat more common than so in clauses of purpose. Otherwise, either so or so that is standard.
Like and, but1 , and or, so can occur as a transitional word at the beginning of a sentence: So all our hard work finally brought results. See also as1, and, but1.
British Dictionary definitions for so that (1 of 4)
British Dictionary definitions for so that (2 of 4)
- a certain degree or amount (of)
- a lot (of)it's just so much nonsense
- no more can or need be said about
- used to express contempt for something that has failedso much for your bright idea
conjunction (subordinating; often foll by that)
Word Origin for so
British Dictionary definitions for so that (3 of 4)
British Dictionary definitions for so that (4 of 4)
the internet domain name for
Idioms and Phrases with so that (1 of 2)
In order that, as in I stopped so that you could catch up.
With the result or consequence that, as in Mail the package now so that it will arrive on time.
so ... that. In such a way or to such an extent that, as in The line was so long that I could scarcely find the end of it. All three usages date from a.d. 1000 or earlier, and the first two are sometimes put simply as so, as in I stopped so you could catch up, or Mail it now so it will arrive on time.
Idioms and Phrases with so that (2 of 2)
In addition to the idioms beginning with so
- so as to
- so be it
- so far
- so far as
- so far, so good
- so help me
- soil one's hands
- sold on, be
- sold out
- so long
- so long as
- so many
- so much
- so much as
- so much for
- so much the
- song and dance
- son of a bitch
- so that
- so to speak
- so what
- and so forth (and so on)
- as (so) far as
- as (so) far as possible
- as (so) far as that goes
- as (so) long as
- as (so) much as
- even so
- every now and then (so often)
- go so far as to
- how come (so)
- in so many words
- is that a fact (so)
- I told you so
- just so
- never had it so good
- not (so) bad
- on one's say-so
- or so
- take it (just so much)
- without so much as