- the process of determining the answer to a problem.
- the answer itself.
- the process by which a gas, liquid, or solid is dispersed homogeneously in a gas, liquid, or solid without chemical change.
- such a substance, as dissolved sugar or salt in solution.
- a homogeneous, molecular mixture of two or more substances.
- the termination of a disease.
- a breach or break in anything, especially one in parts of the body normally continuous, as from fracture or laceration: solution of continuity.
THE SEPTEMBER WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ HAS ARRIVED!
Origin of solution
OTHER WORDS FROM solutionso·lu·tion·al, adjectivenon·so·lu·tion, nounpre·so·lu·tion, noun
Words nearby solution
Example sentences from the Web for solution
Today at Disrupt, the Edinburgh, Scotland-based company debuted its robotic solution.Crover’s robot swims in grain silos to monitor environmental conditions|Brian Heater|September 17, 2020|TechCrunch
Without a solution like the one Breen has built, these systems would be vulnerable to attack.Perigee infrastructure security solution from former NSA employee moves into public beta|Ron Miller|September 17, 2020|TechCrunch
The core of the problem — and a seed of its eventual solution — can be seen in how physicists dealt with the charge of the electron.How Mathematical ‘Hocus-Pocus’ Saved Particle Physics|Charlie Wood|September 17, 2020|Quanta Magazine
Until we know what is driving much of the behavior we see, we cannot generate effective solutions for changing that behavior.Why Coming Up With Effective Interventions To Address COVID-19 Is So Hard|Neil Lewis Jr. (email@example.com)|September 14, 2020|FiveThirtyEight
Building those relationships will help all of us provide customers with better solutions.
But his solution to this metastasizing threat is, in some ways, counterintuitive.
After almost five months without a solution, the lack of initiative is starting to embarrass the Lebanese government.
And that solution came from a homemade brew Branch and her sister created together.Goodbye To A Natural Hair Guru: Miss Jessie's Cofounder Titi Branch Dead At 45|Danielle Belton|December 16, 2014|DAILY BEAST
All of these strategies need to include young men, so that they are part of the solution.
You and I disagree about the solution to this problem, of course, but we agree that there is a problem.
If you find the formula, Madge, I want you to fix me up a solution for the kitchen pump!The Missing Formula|Mildred A. Wirt, AKA Ann Wirt
Along the beach there was a solution of mud almost as light as the water.Canadian Wilds|Martin Hunter
Sachs had shown that the starch passes down to other parts of the plant in solution as glucose.Disease in Plants|H. Marshall Ward
He turns his attention to the sciences, to the solution of questions that touch the well-being of man.The Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Vol. 8 (of 12)|Robert G. Ingersoll
Such are a few of the questions which the psychic student might ask himself, and which certainly call for solution.The Problems of Psychical Research|Hereward Carrington
British Dictionary definitions for solution
- the unique set of values that yield a true statement when substituted for the variables in an equation
- a member of a set of assignments of values to variables under which a given statement is satisfied; a member of a solution set