- the process of determining the answer to a problem.
- the answer itself.
- the process by which a gas, liquid, or solid is dispersed homogeneously in a gas, liquid, or solid without chemical change.
- such a substance, as dissolved sugar or salt in solution.
- a homogeneous, molecular mixture of two or more substances.
- the termination of a disease.
- a breach or break in anything, especially one in parts of the body normally continuous, as from fracture or laceration: solution of continuity.
Origin of solution
OTHER WORDS FROM solutionso·lu·tion·al, adjectivenon·so·lu·tion, nounpre·so·lu·tion, noun
Words nearby solution
How to use solution in a sentence
Today at Disrupt, the Edinburgh, Scotland-based company debuted its robotic solution.Crover’s robot swims in grain silos to monitor environmental conditions|Brian Heater|September 17, 2020|TechCrunch
Without a solution like the one Breen has built, these systems would be vulnerable to attack.Perigee infrastructure security solution from former NSA employee moves into public beta|Ron Miller|September 17, 2020|TechCrunch
The core of the problem — and a seed of its eventual solution — can be seen in how physicists dealt with the charge of the electron.How Mathematical ‘Hocus-Pocus’ Saved Particle Physics|Charlie Wood|September 17, 2020|Quanta Magazine
Until we know what is driving much of the behavior we see, we cannot generate effective solutions for changing that behavior.Why Coming Up With Effective Interventions To Address COVID-19 Is So Hard|Neil Lewis Jr. (email@example.com)|September 14, 2020|FiveThirtyEight
Building those relationships will help all of us provide customers with better solutions.
The two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is dead.
But his solution to this metastasizing threat is, in some ways, counterintuitive.
But on Tuesday, we saw another nail hammered into the already pretty tightly nailed down coffin of the two-state solution.
So here we are with Abbas being the only one of three parties to this conflict still fighting for a two-state solution.
There are instances in which private rehoming works out fine and is the best solution for the struggling family and the children.
The metal is then removed, and washed successively with very dilute sodium hydroxid solution, alcohol, and ether.
At once cover the mouth of the tube with a filter-paper cap moistened with saturated aqueous solution of silver nitrate (1:1).
This solution will show a characteristic blue fluorescence when quinin is present.
They are recognized by their concentric striations and their blue color with iodin solution.
There was no dog with her, and in the bustle that followed, I forgot to seek further for the solution of those two fiery lights.Uncanny Tales|Various
British Dictionary definitions for solution
- the unique set of values that yield a true statement when substituted for the variables in an equation
- a member of a set of assignments of values to variables under which a given statement is satisfied; a member of a solution set