- Also La Soufrière. a volcano in the West Indies, on St. Vincent island. 4048 feet (1234 meters).
- Also Grande Soufrière. a volcano in the West Indies, on Guadeloupe. 4869 feet (1484 meters).
- a volcanic peak in the West Indies, on Montserrat island. 3002 feet (915 meters).
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for soufriere
Historical Examples of soufriere
Previous to the eruption of 1812 the appearance of the Soufriere was most interesting.The San Francisco Calamity
- a volcano in the Caribbean, on N St Vincent: erupted in 1902, killing about 2000 people. Height: 1234 m (4048 ft)
- a volcano in the Caribbean, on S Montserrat: the highest point on the island; erupted 1997, causing the effective destruction of the capital, Plymouth, and requiring the partial evacuation of the island. Height: 915 m (3002 ft)
- a volcano in the Caribbean, on Guadeloupe. Height: 1484 m (4869 ft)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012