- toward the south: a southerly course.
- (especially of a wind) coming from the south: a gentle southerly breeze.
- a wind that blows from the south.
Origin of southerly
Examples from the Web for southerly
Historical Examples of southerly
Formerly rare, now abundant in all the southerly third of the Park.Wild Animals at Home
Ernest Thompson Seton
Unexpected results had ensued from these trips in a southerly direction.Celebrated Travels and Travellers
Southerly, in North latitude; the reverse in the Southern hemisphere.Barometer and Weather Guide
They noted, however, that the party started in a southerly direction.
The adventurers had long passed the most southerly point of Spanish influence.Sea-Dogs All!
- of, relating to, or situated in the south
- towards or in the direction of the south
- from the southa southerly wind
- a wind from the south