- the half of the earth between the South Pole and the equator.
Origin of Southern Hemisphere
First recorded in 1885–90
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- that half of the earth lying south of the equator
- astronomy that half of the celestial sphere lying south of the celestial equator
Abbreviation: S hemisphere
- The half of the Earth south of the equator.
- The half of the celestial sphere south of the celestial equator.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.