- (sometimes lowercase) a soviet system of government.
- (often lowercase) the practices and principles of a soviet government, especially as it implies communism.
- a characteristic, mannerism, phrase, etc., expressive of or identifiable with the ideology of the Soviet Union.
Origin of Sovietism
Related formsSo·vi·et·ist, noun, adjective
First recorded in 1915–20; soviet
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for sovietism
Historical Examples of sovietism
Sovietism is only a rough Russian realisation of German ideals.
Should France overthrow capitalism, for instance, she will at first establish Sovietism, and subsequently combine with us.
If Bolshevism meant Sovietism and merely is a constitutional conflict between parliamentary and council government, it could.
British Dictionary definitions for sovietism
Derived Formssovietist, noun, adjectivesovietistic, adjective
- the principle or practice of government through soviets, esp as practised in the former Soviet Union
- any characteristic deemed representative of Soviet ideology
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012