- Also called spatter dash. an exterior wall finish composed of mortar and fine pebbles mixed together and dashed against the wall.Compare pebble dash.
- a crudely formed pattern or model.
- to cover or coat with roughcast.
- to make, shape, or prepare in a rough form: to roughcast a story.
Origin of roughcast
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for spatter-dash
Historical Examples of spatter-dash
"And they were Spatter-dash's, too," said I, almost stifled by my jealous rage.
As we two came to the mainland, young Spatter-dash suddenly crossed the road in front of my lantern.
- a coarse plaster used to cover the surface of an external wall
- any rough or preliminary form, model, etc
- covered with or denoting roughcast
- to apply roughcast to (a wall, etc)
- to prepare in rough
- (tr) another word for rough-hew
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012