- (of a disease) produced by a special cause or infection.
- (of a remedy) having special effect in the prevention or cure of a certain disease.
- designating a physical constant that, for a particular substance, is expressed as the ratio of the quantity in the substance to the quantity in an equal volume of a standard substance, as water or air.
- designating a physical constant that expresses a property or effect as a quantity per unit length, area, volume, or mass.
Origin of specific
synonym study for specific
OTHER WORDS FROM specific
Words nearby specific
How to use specific in a sentence
They are specific to whatever product or service you’re selling.A comprehensive guide on using Google Trends for keyword research|Aayush Gupta|February 12, 2021|Search Engine Watch
Previously, there was no specific requirement of what type of mask should be worn.NHL adds game-day rapid testing to coronavirus protocols|Samantha Pell|February 12, 2021|Washington Post
He now associates different areas with specific types of trash.
The specifics of this call were unique, but the theme was a common refrain.
Oh, Naaaaaaancy is a very specific scene from a horror movie.Capitol rioters searched for Nancy Pelosi in a way that should make every woman’s skin crawl|Monica Hesse|February 11, 2021|Washington Post
One specific kind of emergency is at the heart of this, such as when an airplane suffers a loss of stability at night.Flight 8501 Poses Question: Are Modern Jets Too Automated to Fly?|Clive Irving|January 4, 2015|DAILY BEAST
So too with a vaccine that provokes a specific immune response aimed at a specific RNA sequence.When You Get the Flu This Winter, You Can Blame Anti-Vaxxers|Kent Sepkowitz|January 1, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Mistletoes infections can kill individual trees and stands of trees, and most mistletoe species attack specific tree species.
“Protocols have specific meanings behind them, rather than do what I say because I say so,” she added.Dungeons and Genital Clamps: Inside a Legendary BDSM Chateau|Ian Frisch|December 20, 2014|DAILY BEAST
“Very few agencies offer police any specific guidance or training on how to question people with ID,” said Garrett.How the U.S. Justice System Screws Prisoners with Disabilities|Elizabeth Picciuto|December 16, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The specific gravity is most conveniently estimated by means of the urinometer—Squibb's is preferable (Fig. 14).
One frequently wishes to ascertain the specific gravity of quantities of fluid too small to float an urinometer.
The specific gravity method is very useful when special instruments are not at hand.
The Specific Gravity is the relative weight of a body compared to an equal bulk of some other body taken as a standard.Assimilative Memory|Marcus Dwight Larrowe (AKA Prof. A. Loisette)
A special agent is authorized to do a specific thing, to sell a home, buy a horse, or effect some particular end or purpose.Putnam's Handy Law Book for the Layman|Albert Sidney Bolles
British Dictionary definitions for specific
- characteristic of a property of a particular substance, esp in relation to the same property of a standard reference substancespecific gravity
- characteristic of a property of a particular substance per unit mass, length, area, volume, etcspecific heat
- (of an extensive physical quantity) divided by massspecific heat capacity; specific volume