- a combining form meaning “respiration,” used in the formation of compound words: spirograph.
Origin of spiro-1
combining form of Latin spīrāre to breathe
- a combining form meaning “coil,” “spiral,” used in the formation of compound words: spirochete.
Origin of spiro-2
combining form of Latin spīra < Greek speîra coil
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- indicating breath or respirationspirograph
from Latin spīrāre to breathe
- spiral; coilspirochaete
from Latin spīra, from Greek speira a coil
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Spiral; coil; coil-shaped:spirillar.
- Breath; breathing;spirograph.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.