- Anatomy. of or relating to the thin, scalelike portion of the temporal bone that is situated on the side of the skull above and behind the ear.
- Zoology. pertaining to a corresponding bone in other vertebrates.
- a squamosal bone.
Origin of squamosal
Examples from the Web for squamosal
Historical Examples of squamosal
The quadrate is united to the squamosal, which is loosely attached to the cranium.
The periotic is not fused to the squamosal or to the small tympanic.
The postglenoid and post-tympanic processes of the squamosal are large.
Dorsally it is fixed to the squamosal and anteriorly to the quadratojugal.
In front it meets the pro-otic, and on its outer side the squamosal and quadrate.
- a thin platelike paired bone in the skull of vertebrates: in mammals it forms part of the temporal bone
- of or relating to this bone
- a less common word for squamous
- Of or relating to the thin, platelike part of the temporal bone.
- A squamosal bone.