- U.S. Air Force. a noncommissioned officer ranking below a technical sergeant and above an airman first class.
- U.S. Army. a noncommissioned officer ranking below a sergeant first class and above a sergeant.
- U.S. Marine Corps. a noncommissioned officer ranking below a gunnery sergeant and above a sergeant.
Origin of staff sergeant
First recorded in 1805–15
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for staff sergeant
It was on this day that my nephew, Staff-Sergeant Nickson, was wounded.Five Months at Anzac
Joseph Lievesley Beeston
- British a noncommissioned officer holding a rank between sergeant and warrant officer and employed on administrative duties
- (in the Army) a noncommissioned officer who ranks above sergeant and below sergeant first class
- (in the Air Force) a noncommissioned officer who ranks above airman first class and below technical sergeant
- (in the Marine Corps) a noncommissioned officer who ranks above sergeant and below gunnery sergeant
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012