- a town in and the capital of Nidwalden, in central Switzerland.
- a male given name, form of Stanley.
- a demicanton of Unterwalden, in central Switzerland. 106 sq. mi. (275 sq. km). Capital: Stans.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for stans
Pakistan would be a big beneficiary of peace and trade into the Central Asian “stans.”How to Repair the U.S. Pakistan Relationship
June 4, 2012
"So dat's de way it stans," said July, as they were approaching the camp.Captain Ted
It aint all in havin a good receipt, though it stans to reason if you dont take the right things theres no use puttin em together.
And then he added briskly, But it stans to reason that a man or to have a care how far he goes before he gets things cleared up.
One stans fuh good luck, two fuh money, thee fuh wisdom, fo' fuh power an five fuh love.
This status continued through Lent, and hence the incepting bachelor was described as stans in quadragesima.Cambridge
Mildred Anna Rosalie Tuker
- a town in central Switzerland, capital of Nidwalden demicanton, 11 km (7 miles) southeast of Lucerne: tourist centre. Pop: 6983 (2000)
- the Stans a region in Central Asia that consists of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012