- a keyboard machine resembling a typewriter, used in a system of phonetic shorthand.
- the symbols typed in one stroke on this machine.
Origin of stenotype
formerly a trademark
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for stenotype
Historical Examples of stenotype
Copper watched Kennon as he dictated the covering letter, her slim fingers dancing over the stenotype.The Lani People
J. F. Bone
- trademark a machine with a keyboard for recording speeches, etc, in a phonetic shorthand
- any machine resembling this
- the phonetic symbol typed in one stroke of such a machine
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012