- in a steplike arrangement.
- Music. from one adjacent tone to another: The melody ascends stepwise.
- Music. moving from one adjacent tone to another: stepwise melodic progression.
Origin of stepwise
Examples from the Web for stepwise
Historical Examples of stepwise
When the music moves about stepwise in close proximity above and below the breaks, we have another cause of flattening.
Remember that it is easiest to leap from one register to a higher, a stepwise ascent being an insidious snare.
When the syncopated note belongs to the harmony of the measure, it may be left by a skip or stepwise progression.A Treatise on Simple Counterpoint in Forty Lessons
Friedrich J. Lehmann
So at a definite, measurable rate this stepwise disintegration proceeds.A Brief Account of Radio-activity
Francis Preston Venable
- arranged in the manner of or resembling steps
- music, US proceeding by melodic intervals of a second
- with the form or appearance of steps; step by step
- music, US in a stepwise motion