[ster-noo-tuh-tawr-ee, -tohr-ee, -nyoo-]
- Also ster·nu·ta·tive. causing or tending to cause sneezing.
- a sternutatory substance.
Origin of sternutatory
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for sternutatory
It is now almost solely used as a sternutatory or errhine, and is probably one of the best.
The powder of the dried nuts was at one time prescribed as a sternutatory (to encourage sneezing) in the Edinburgh Pharmacopoeia.
- causing or having the effect of sneezing
- an agent or substance that causes sneezing
- Causing or producing sneezing.
- A sternutatory substance, such as pepper.