- Also called stinkball. a jar containing combustibles or other materials that generate offensive and suffocating vapors, formerly used in warfare.
- Informal. a stinker; meany.
- a common musk turtle, Sternotherus odoratus, of the eastern and southern U.S., that sometimes climbs trees along the water's edge.
Origin of stinkpot
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for stinkpot
Not long ago an effective weapon called "stinkpot" was in use.Seven Legs Across the Seas
"Stinkpot" she called it, when acknowledging foul elements in the composition and the harm it did to the unskilful balist.Lord Ormont and his Aminta, Complete
But in some degree it was merely a development of the "stinkpot" which the Chinese have employed for years.Aircraft and Submarines
Willis J. Abbot.
- slang a person or thing that stinks
- slang a person considered to be unpleasant
- another name for musk turtle
- Also called: stink ball military (formerly) a container filled with material that gives off noxious or suffocating vapours
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012