- Football. to push (a potential tackler) away by holding the arm out straight; stiff-arm.
- to force, push, or fend off by or as if by holding out a stiff arm against obstacles: He straight-armed his way into the middle of the crowded room.
- Football. an act or instance of straight-arming.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for straight-arm
By-and-by these exercises will come as easy as was the straight-arm work.How to Get Strong and How to Stay So
He rushed and drove a straight-arm jab, which had it reached would have given him the purse.
He lunged forward as he spoke, shooting a straight-arm blow for Fyfe's face.Big Timber
Bertrand W. Sinclair
- rugby (of a tackle) performed with the arm fully extended
- (tr) to ward off (an opponent) with the arm outstretched
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012