adjective, strong·er [strawng-ger, strong-], /ˈstrɔŋ gər, ˈstrɒŋ-/, strong·est [strawng-gist, strong-]. /ˈstrɔŋ gɪst, ˈstrɒŋ-/.
- (of Germanic verbs) having vowel change in the root in inflected forms, as the English verbs sing, sang, sung; ride, rode, ridden.
- (of Germanic nouns and adjectives) inflected with endings that are generally distinctive of case, number, and gender, as German alter Mann “old man.”
- belonging to the morphophonemically less regular of two inflectional subtypes.
SYNONYMS FOR strong
QUIZ YOURSELF ON AFFECT VS. EFFECT!
Idioms for strong
Origin of strong
OTHER WORDS FROM strong
Example sentences from the Web for strong
Researchers pressed ahead with trialing a two-dose regime after finding it produced a stronger response in 10 volunteers.AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine is back on track after getting the green light to resume trials in the U.K.|Bernhard Warner|September 13, 2020|Fortune
Just stick to getting strong on your own for the time being.
Authorities may have failed at the time, but the village — and Switzerland as a whole — came out stronger.How a Swiss Ski Resort Was Ravaged by Typhoid and Survived|Daniel Malloy|September 9, 2020|Ozy
We all know that a strong performance from a goaltender is crucial for Stanley Cup playoff success.An Expensive Goalie Is Not Your Ticket To The Stanley Cup|Julian McKenzie|September 9, 2020|FiveThirtyEight
The other previous fastest corrections ever saw extremely strong returns out to a year later.
New refinements in aluminum made structures both stronger and lighter.Flight 8501 Poses Question: Are Modern Jets Too Automated to Fly?|Clive Irving|January 4, 2015|DAILY BEAST
But with a stronger quake, we could have a serious problem.
Instead we must show that America “is different, stronger, and better than those who would destroy us.”Why the Muslim World Isn’t Flipping Out Over the CIA Torture Report|Dean Obeidallah|December 12, 2014|DAILY BEAST
It's a shame, because Samberg's work on Brooklyn Nine-Nine has been stronger than ever this past season.15 Enraging Golden Globe TV Snubs and Surprises: Amy Poehler, 'Mad Men' & More|Kevin Fallon|December 11, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Consider it a coffee table book for edgy rock fans who bliss out on something stronger than coffee.
She opened the letter by the flickering firelight, which was stronger on the hearthrug than the light of the dim November day.Hilda Lessways|Arnold Bennett
The thoughts of most of us are little more than imitations and adaptations of the ideas of stronger minds.The Unsolved Riddle of Social Justice|Stephen Leacock
A stronger heart than Michael's might have quailed in his position; yet the pressure from without animated and invigorated him.
The nativesʼ anxiety to oust the Spaniards was far stronger than their wish to be under American, or indeed any foreign, control.The Philippine Islands|John Foreman
Well, we must try our luck with a regulation sabre; they can't well refuse it; ours is the stronger and bigger man.The Pit Town Coronet, Volume I (of 3)|Charles James Wills
British Dictionary definitions for strong
adjective stronger (ˈstrɒŋɡə) or strongest (ˈstrɒŋɡɪst)
- (postpositive) containing or having a specified numbera navy 40 000 strong
- (in combination)a 40 000-strong navy
- denoting or belonging to a class of verbs, in certain languages including the Germanic languages, whose conjugation shows vowel gradation, as sing, sang, sung
- belonging to any part-of-speech class, in any of various languages, whose inflections follow the less regular of two possible patternsCompare weak (def. 10)
Derived forms of strongstrongish, adjectivestrongly, adverbstrongness, noun
Word Origin for strong
Idioms and Phrases with strong
In addition to the idioms beginning with strong
- strong point
- strong silent type
- strong suit
- come on strong