- Also called correspondence, map, mapping, transformation. a relation between two sets in which one element of the second set is assigned to each element of the first set, as the expression y = x2; operator.
- Also called multiple-value function. a relation between two sets in which two or more elements of the second set are assigned to each element of the first set, as y2 = x2, which assigns to every x the two values y = +x and y = −x.
- a set of ordered pairs in which none of the first elements of the pairs appears twice.
- a formula expressing a relation between the angles of a triangle and its sides, as sine or cosine.
- hyperbolic function.
- the grammatical role a linguistic form has or the position it occupies in a particular construction.
- the grammatical roles or the positions of a linguistic form or form class collectively.
verb (used without object)
Words nearby function
Origin of function
OTHER WORDS FROM function
British Dictionary definitions for sub-function
Derived forms of functionfunctionless, adjective
Word Origin for function
Medicine definitions for sub-function
Science definitions for sub-function
Culture definitions for sub-function
In mathematics, a quantity whose value is determined by the value of some other quantity. For example, “The yield of this field is a function of the amount of fertilizer applied” means that a given amount of fertilizer will yield an amount of whatever crop is growing.