- to divide (that which has already been divided) into smaller parts; divide again after a first division.
- to divide into parts.
- to divide (a plot, tract of land, etc.) into building lots.
- to become separated into divisions.
Origin of subdivide
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to divide (something) resulting from an earlier division
- (tr) US and Canadian to divide (land) into lots for sale
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper