- serving to assist or supplement; auxiliary; supplementary.
- subordinate or secondary: subsidiary issues.
- of or relating to a subsidiary.
- a subsidiary thing or person.
- subsidiary company.
- Music. a subordinate theme or subject.
Origin of subsidiary
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- serving to aid or supplement; auxiliary
- of lesser importance; subordinate in function
- a person who or thing that is subsidiary
- short for subsidiary company
C16: from Latin subsidiārius supporting, from subsidium subsidy
Word Origin and History for subsidiarily
1540s, from Middle French subsidiaire, from Latin subsidiarius "serving to assist or supplement," from subsidium "help, aid" (see subsidy).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper