- an ester or salt derived from a sulfonic acid.
- to make into a sulfonic acid, as by treating an aromatic hydrocarbon with concentrated sulfuric acid.
- to introduce the sulfonic group into (an organic compound).
Origin of sulfonate
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- A salt or ester of sulfonic acid.
- To introduce one or more sulfonic acid groups into an organic compound.
- To treat with sulfonic acid.
- A salt or ester of sulfonic acid, containing the group SO3H.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.