See more synonyms for wealthy on Thesaurus.com adjective, wealth·i·er, wealth·i·est.
- having great wealth; rich; affluent: a wealthy person; a wealthy nation.
- characterized by, pertaining to, or suggestive of wealth: a wealthy appearance.
- rich in character, quality, or amount; abundant or ample: a novel that is wealthy in its psychological insights.
Origin of wealthy
Middle EnglishRelated formswealth·i·ly, adverbwealth·i·ness, nouno·ver·wealth·y, adjectivequa·si-wealth·y, adjectivesub·wealth·y, adjectivesu·per·wealth·y, adjectiveun·wealth·y, adjective
word dating back to 1325–75;
see origin at wealth
1. poor. 3. scanty.
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for super-wealthy
British Dictionary definitions for super-wealthy
adjective wealthier or wealthiestDerived Formswealthily, adverbwealthiness, noun
- possessing wealth; affluent; rich
- of, characterized by, or relating to wealth
- aboundingwealthy in friends
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for super-wealthy
late 14c., from wealth + -y (2). Meaning "wealthy persons collectively" is from late 14c.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper