- a person or thing that survives.
- Law. the one of two or more designated persons, as joint tenants or others having a joint interest, who outlives the other or others.
- a person who continues to function or prosper in spite of opposition, hardship, or setbacks.
Origin of survivor
Examples from the Web for survivor
But Cocker proved to be a survivor, bringing his passionate persona to concert halls around the world decade after decade.The Greatest Rock Voice of All Time Belonged to Joe Cocker
December 23, 2014
The worst is probably to avoid paying taxes on the money and go to prison, like Survivor season one winner Richard Hatch.From Socially Isolated Nerd to Jeopardy! Bad Boy: A Thank You Note
November 27, 2014
“We were looking at 10 men with rifles, and then the beating began,” the survivor would later testify.Mexico’s First Lady of Murder Is on the Lam
October 29, 2014
I am a survivor of domestic violence, and I am an immigrant.Immigrant Women Facing Domestic Abuse Need Stronger Protections
October 24, 2014
Needless to say, I never expected to know a survivor of Hiroshima, let alone have her sing me “Happy Birthday.”Truman’s Grandson & Japan’s A-Bomb Survivors: A Story of Reconciliation
Clifton Truman Daniel
August 5, 2014
If none exists, the survivor is entitled to the whole estate.
The survivor has the preference in the right of administration.
If there is issue the survivor has one-half the personal estate.
A homestead to the value of $1,500 is exempted for the survivor and minor children.
But I have outgone my destiny in living, to stay here the survivor of my child.The Aeneid of Virgil
- a person or thing that survives
- property law one of two or more specified persons having joint interests in property who lives longer than the other or others and thereby becomes entitled to the whole property
Word Origin and History for survivor
c.1500, in the legal sense of "one who outlives another," agent noun from survive. Meaning "one who has a knack for pulling through adversity" is attested from 1971. Survivor syndrome is first recorded 1968.