[suhth -er-luh nd]
- Earl Wilbur, Jr.,1915–74, U.S. biochemist: Nobel Prize in medicine 1971.
- George,1862–1942, U.S. politician and jurist: associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court 1922–38.
- Dame Joan,1926–2010, Australian soprano.
- Also called Suth·er·land·shire [suhth -er-luh nd-sheer, -sher] /ˈsʌð ər ləndˌʃɪər, -ʃər/. a historic county in N Scotland.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for sutherland
Sutherland had unwittingly purchased the paintings from a forger in California on eBay.Why eBay Is an Art Forger’s Paradise
August 19, 2014
By January 31, Sutherland was notified that his Hirst paintings were fakes.
Sutherland said he possessed one, but was waiting for confirmation that it was available for sale.
Sutherland—who began dealing art four years ago—met his downfall after making just one bad decision.
In the chapter entitled “New Lands: America and the American Voice” Sutherland tries to compress 400 years into his six pages.John Sutherland‘s Enjoyable Little History of Literature
November 29, 2013
The history of Sutherland, as a county, differs from all our other Highland districts.
What a pity it is that differences such as these the Duke of Sutherland cannot see!
Let us follow, for a little, the poor Highlanders of Sutherland to the sea-coast.
The Sutherland family looked at each other in angry astonishment.
Sutherland was just entering a side-door of the house when David accosted him.David Elginbrod
- (until 1975) a county of N Scotland, now part of Highland
- Graham. 1903–80, English artist, noted for his work as an official war artist (1941–44), for his tapestry Christ in Majesty (1962) in Coventry Cathedral, and for his portraits
- Dame Joan, 1926–2010 known as La Stupenda. Australian operatic soprano
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Sutherland(sŭð′ər-lənd)Earl Wilbur, Jr 1915-1974
- American physiologist. He won a 1971 Nobel Prize for showing that cyclic AMP within the cell is the agent that moderates the action of hormones.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.